Amazon Search creates powerful, customer-focused product search solutions and technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, our systems go to work. Our Search team designs, builds, and delivers high performance, fault-tolerant, scalable distributed search engine used by millions of Amazon customers every day. The Amazon Search Relevance org is responsible for product ranking in Search.
This role offers a compelling mix of technical innovation, leadership, and people management. You will lead a team of scientists and engineers to build Machine Learning solutions to address business critical needs. You will work closely with customers, product and program managers, other engineering managers, and tech leads and to understand what you need to build. You will develop the science and engineering roadmaps, communicate your vision and milestones to leadership and to your collaborators. You will deliver results that impact hundreds of millions of Amazon customers worldwide. A solid track record in defining and executing on a large-scale, distributed systems and a relentless desire to improve customer experience are requirements for success in this role. Your team’s work is highly visible to senior leadership and directly impacts multiple organization goals in 2021 and beyond.
Learn more about the Amazon Search team here: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/teams/search
· 4+ years of experience working directly with engineering teams
· 3+ years of people management experience, managing and hiring scientists and engineers
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience in project management of complex deliverables and resource management
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and the full software development life cycle
· Experience in building and scaling Machine Learning solutions in Production
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
· Proven track record of managing science teams, hiring and developing science talent
· Track record of peer reviewed academic publications.
· Strong verbal/written communication skills, including an ability to effectively collaborate with both research and technical teams.
· Proven track record in leading, mentoring and growing teams of engineers
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Ability to make tradeoffs between delivering results in the short term while aiming at ambitious long term goals
· Experience building large scale ML solutions to solve customer and business needs
· Experience with Information Retrieval, Large scale Search and/or NLP
Amazon Science (www.amazon.science) gives you insight into the company’s approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It’s the company’s ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.